Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Just a Few Thoughts.....

 
    
                                                         Just a Few Thoughts.....



     It ceases to amaze me how you can read the same passage in scripture over and over again throughout your life and come away with a new understanding or deeper appreciation each time. It really just goes to show how the Word of God really is like a boundless treasure trove, and that we can never reach the bottom of the wisdom and truth found there.

Psalm 62 is one of those treasure troves to me. I was going through one of my old devotional journals a few days ago. Amid the prayer request lists, memory verse lists, and many other lists that happen to spring up during my devotional hour, I came across something that I had written about Psalm 62. It was labeled under the heading Ways I Can Fix my Heart on the Lord in times of Trouble. I would like to share some of the ways that I have applied to my life through the reading of this particular psalm.



   1. Pray. Seek solace and direction before God. (Vs. 1. “God alone my soul waits in silence; from Him comes my salvation.” Also, vs. 8. “Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us.”)



    2. Remember the works of the Lord and His promises to His people. Recount them in my prayers. Turning my thoughts towards the promises of God will give me  strength and courage, as He not only is a God of truth, He is also unchanging. ( Again, vs. 8 “Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out our heart before Him; God is a refuge for us.”)



    3. Encourage other brothers and sisters in the faith and help them fix their eyes on Christ by speaking and acting according to how the Lord commands us to follow Him. Focusing on building others up takes my eyes off of myself and helps to strive after the Lord in holiness, instead of wallowing in selfishness and self-pity.  ( Vs. 3 + 6: “How long will you attack a man to batter him, like a leaning wall, a tottering fence? He [God] only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken.”)



  4. Turn away from the world and surround myself with godly people who will encourage and pour out their wisdom and experience upon me, especially older, wiser brothers and sisters in the faith. ( Vs. 11+12: “Once God has spoken; twice I have heard this: that power belongs to God and that to you, O Lord, belongs steadfast love. For You will render to a man according to his work.”)



   I thank the Lord for the work He has done in my life. He never gives up on me and is continually teaching me new things from His word, even if I’ve read it multiple times before.

                        What has has the Lord reminded you of or taught you lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment