Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Hope through the Pain


Psalm 73 Testimony

As I was growing up,  I did love to read the Bible but the Psalms really never stood out to me. I don’t even remember trying to read through them.  I think my belief was, “Well, I sing them in church every week, so do I really need to look at them anymore?” However, later I began to realize that I didn’t even know what I was singing.  I sang the words of the Psalms, but those words didn’t actually process in my head. Even after I came to this realization, I still didn’t desire to read the Psalms or try to study them.
 Then last year something happened that really changed my view on the Psalms...a very dear friend of mine died suddenly from an unknown heart defect he had had since birth.  I was truly devastated. In my grieving many people came beside me and comforted me, giving me many verses from God’s Word. I began to notice a reccurring theme: the majority of these verses came from the Psalms. Then a friend who knew I was hurting asked to do a study of the Psalms with me. Through this study I came to understand how truly beautiful and comforting the Psalms are.   I hope that through this blog you to can come to the same conclusion.
Psalm 73 was one of the first Psalms that I really began to study. I feel like this Psalm shows the deep pain that many people go through, and the questioning that comes with that pain. Some of you probably know what pain I’m talking about; whether it’s experiencing the death of a family member or friend, sickness, or divorce. It’s the pain that makes you want to hit something over and over again. It’s the pain that makes you not want to get out of bed every morning. It’s the pain that makes you question God’s goodness. “God if you really love me then why did my friend die?” Or “God, if you really love me then why did my parents get divorced?” We ask, “If God is all-powerful then why is my brother sick?” “Why did my sister walk away from the faith?” Asaph is asking similar questions. 
However, In the second half of this Psalm Asaph shows his understanding of how God works. He understands how utterly foolish he was for questioning the almighty God. He realizes how deeply God loves him. We all need to remember how deep God’s love is for us and how faithful God is even though we are so ignorant. Pain hurts. Pain seems unfair. But remembering how loving and faithful God is; then looking to the future where Christ will make everything known to us; where we will be perfected, and where everything will be glorious should give us hope. A hope that is above the pain.
Asaph chose God through the pain. I am choosing God through my pain. Will you choose God through your pain?
Below I am sharing different verses that show God’s promises and comfort  through our suffering. Don’t just read it, but really meditate on what it’s saying and how you can apply it to your life.

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11


Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord.  Isaiah 55:8

Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you.  But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. 1st Peter 4:12-13
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea. Psalm 46:1-2

3 comments:

  1. Eden, thank you for sharing how the Lord has been at work in your life through His Word, particularly the psalms. It's easy to want to give in to despair and anger when terrible, unexplainable things happen in our lives. The Lord has truly begun a good work in you and He will carry it on to completion. He will only continue to strengthen and grow you more in grace and faith with each passing day, even when times are hard and it's difficult to see His presence...
    Thank you again so much for sharing this! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this Eden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great:D I needed that! :)

    Ben bum;)

    ReplyDelete